Wednesday 15 July 2015

A knitting post...finally.

So I started a pair of socks way back in February that were supposed to be a pair of birthday socks for my son who ONLY wears ankle socks any more. I gave up on the idea of surprise socks because I just couldn't "sneak" the size of his foot.  So here is the first pair.  They fit.  He says they are comfortable (that says a lot coming from the pickiest person I know, clothes wise).
 I really wish I could share the pattern with you, but I printed it off in February and there is no title anywhere, and it's not saved to my Pinterest board, or my Ravelry favourites.  Go figure.  I know I first came across the idea for them here on the purl bee.

 Started on my first day of holidays, and finished two days after we got back....my new cowl.  In "not-grey"!
It's just a super simple garter stitch.  I think 30 stitches. Every sixth row is a pattern row, with Yarn ver, K2tog, knit 2 stitches, repeat.  I spaced them out so they alternate, but it looks equally pretty when they line up perfectly.  I used exactly one ball of yarn, and may end up ripping out the seam to add a couple extra inches if I can get another ball of the same colour.  It's a wee bit snug for my taste.

And what's a knitting post without a yarn bowl?  The mate to this one has already been delivered.  They were a prototype, and I love them, and I will be making many many more.  And that's my sock yarn in "acceptable boy colours" waiting to be turned in to more ankle socks.

Reading:  Edible Wild Plants, Build your Own Earth Oven, and going to the library tonight for some fiction.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful yarn bowl. My daughter wears her socks the same way. I could never. Give me high top socks please - especially hand knit ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those socks look so comfy. And the cowl looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that new yarn bowl! The socks look great. My son is also super picky, so I haven't knitted for him in ages (he's only ten, but very sure of what he will wear!) I agree with Donna - I am a long sock person. I can't stand socks that fall down into my shoes! But hey, quicker for you to knit, so that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete