Thursday 12 March 2015

Works in Progress - Clay "Baskets"

Sometimes I find it difficult to show pictures of my clay "works in progress" because unless there is something interesting going on with the shape itself, it can just look like the same thing over and over.

I've been working on a new series of pots that aren't ready to share yet, but these companion pieces have enough going on to share as they are drying.

This coil pot is almost ready to fire.  It's the tallest coil pot I have ever made and I think it will make a great vase for branches when it's ready.  I still have to decide on a colour.  I'm thinking it will either be grey, or grey and white, or a blend of blue/green/turquoise with clear glaze over top.  Anyone want to vote on it?  It's not at all what I set out to make, but it's what happened.  Clay is like that.

This one is a shorter version of the first coil pot I ever made.  I still use it several times a week.  Still not what I was aiming for, but getting closer and I kind of like it.

Of the three, this is the closest to what I intended, but still not quite there.  What I realized during this process is that I have too many other little projects going on to give my full attention to these basket-style pots at the moment.  I will put this series on hold for now and come back to them later when I can give them the attention they require.  After some "polishing up" - smoothing out, sponging, sanding, etc I will still fire these just in case they can be glazed in time to add to the Potters' Guild show at the Lawrence House Center for the Arts next month.

What are you working on?

Linking up with:

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love the woven one! What is the use you can foresee for it? I think it would make a great bread 'basket'. That coil pot is amazing - hope it fires ok. I like all the colour choices you have, but I think grey and white would look really effective with branches in it. Very suitable for winter, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards grey and white myself, I think.
      For the woven basket, I picture it with yarn, of course :) And also clementines. It's not huge (maybe 8" acrross?" so I don't think it would be big enough for a bread basket...but then again, it might fit a dinner's worth of rolls depending on the family size.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I love the woven one! What is the use you can foresee for it? I think it would make a great bread 'basket'. That coil pot is amazing - hope it fires ok. I like all the colour choices you have, but I think grey and white would look really effective with branches in it. Very suitable for winter, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. visiting from creative friday... wow...your basket pot is amazing! Closest I have gotten to working with clay is ceramics and slip....but your pots are so nice! THe middle one is my favorite. pLus.. I am going to check out the crochets mason jar covers on our side bar. My GD just learned how to crochet and I think she'd like to make those!

    ReplyDelete