Monday 3 March 2014

A fun little sewing project.

This little number has been on my "Inspiration for the school art show" Pinterest board for years, but I hadn't gotten around to making it yet because I didn't know what to do with it after.  Now that I have a recipient lined up for it, I thought it would make the perfect project for this year's show.
If you are new here, every year the elementary school my youngest child attends hosts an art show where the projects are made of recycled/upcycled materials.  As the organizer, I like to contribute a project as well.

Mostly, I followed the directions over here but I don't have an AccuQuilt Go (I don't even know what it is) so I made my own template...
 ...from a cereal box of course.  I drew out a 3" square, marked the middle point at the top, connected to the corners and cut it out.  I think any isosceles triangle will work.
 I cut 60 of the triangles from random bits of scraps and clothes...
 ...and then put set them up in groups of three until I was happy with all the pattern groupings.
For assembly, start by following the directions here.  Tip: She doesn't say what to do after the 12th triangle is attached.  I kept adding in the spaces until I had a group of 5 at the top, with 5 in the spaces beneath that, and another row between the spaces beneath that.  Then I sewed the last 5 together into a "crown" and sewed that into the bottom.  I had to alternate between machine sewing and hand sewing throughout this project as it was very difficult to fit the layers through the machine.
My kids LOVED the finished project.  I believe the term "awesome" was used.  They would really like to keep it, but I have someone else in mind.  If I were to make another one, I think I would add the seam allowance to the outside of the triangle rather than inside the template (basically, make the template bigger) as this was very finickity at times.  Also, I don't think it really matters what shape your triangles are, so long as they are all the same, so I would be interested to try another one with really long, pointy triangles.

Completely superfluous picture of my sewing buddy.

Happy crafting all!

Linking up with: Keep Calm Craft On at Frontier Dreams
                        Fiber Arts Fridy At Wisdom Begins in Wonder
                        Creative Friday at Natural Suburbia

3 comments:

  1. This is incredible! I definitely have to try one, my boyfriend, a maths buff, would adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha... I totally thought the kittie was the intended recipient. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I remember doing something like this with paper before. Fabric is so much better!

    ReplyDelete