Tuesday 14 January 2014

Introducing the Pod Collection

Wow, that was a longer break than I had expected - partly because I kind of felt that I had nothing of note to share.  You see, I was hoping to share the beginning of my Pod Collection, but I've had a few mishaps along the way...so instead of showing the finished products for all of them, some will be photos of the initial stages.  Here we go:

 #1: The Pansy Pod...not sure why I call it that, because really I see it full of violets in the spring.

#2: I call this one William...Mr. William Power - it's a toonie pod (that's our $2 coin, for those of you outside of Canada) that you have to smash to get your savings out.  I estimate it can hold about $1000.00 when full.

#3: The Daffodil Pod:  It seems I always make the vases with spring flowers in mind, but I think this pair would look great with a single large hydrangea in each one.

#4: Luminaria pods...the one on the right sold before it was even glazed (although I did glaze it) and I see many more of these in the future.  There is a whole in the back to slide in a tea light.

#5: The salt pig...unglazed on the inside to absorb moisture, glazed on the outside for easy cleaning.  I think I want to make little tiny clay spoons for the next ones I make, unless I can find some little wooden ones for a reasonable price.

#6: The Pitcher Pods...these two met with disaster.  When test firing my first batch of glazed pieces in my "new to me" kiln, the cone racks on the top two shelves exploded and hunks of clay stuck to all the pieces on those two shelves.  These are now in my "to be smashed for a mosaic" pile.  I will be making more but sometimes it's hard for me to remake something I have already done.  I have to wait for the mood to strike again.

#7: The First Birthday Pod...inspired by river rocks.  I have actually found little beeswax birthday candles to fit these.  I picture this becoming a great tradition in some families...using the birthday pod for every birthday, or really any special event for that matter.

#8: The soup and sandwich pod...this one was in the same glaze load as the pitchers.  There were actually 2 plates and two bowls, of which only one bowl remains unaffected.  It looks lonely by itself, but it's in the Carlisle shop none the less.  By itself it looks like a change bowl.

#9: The pen/pencil pod...As yet these are unglazed because I'm not sure what to do to them.

#10: The Candy Dish Pod...N wants one so so so badly.  I told him I will have to finish these for my next show, but that maybe, just maybe I would try to make another.  The child likes the pods as much as I do.  He already has a toonie pod, and a candle pod.

My plan is to make 52 different pods, hopefully with a good variety by April when my next round of shows start up again.  They are kind of addictive.  Every time I make one, I come up with another.  

So, honestly...I could use some input.  I like them personally (a lot), but are they a little boring for most tastes?  I had originally planned to glaze them all in white, but some of them seem to cry out for colour.  I am trying to imagine them set up all together for a show...mostly white with the occasional pop of colour?  All neutrals, like the river rock inspired candles?  Feel free to leave a comment if you have a suggestion.

And just in case you were wondering...this is what the "explosion" looked like.  Yikes.

                         Creative Friday at Natural Suburbia

8 comments:

  1. What lovely pottery. I think my favourite are the salt pig (mainly because I would love to have one, rather than a bag of salt next to my oven), and the luminaria. The shapes sort of remind me of pollen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! These are lovely. I'm especially taken with the Daffodilpod, the luminaria and the birthday candle pod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. I do actually have an Etsy shop but it is temporarily closed because I had to bring every single item that was finished to the shop in Carlisle, Ontario that carries my pottery last weekend to fill the shelves back up after the Christmas rush. As soon as I have a few things ready, I will re-open my shop and let people know again on my blog.

      Delete
  4. These are so cool; nice work! The neutral and earth tones look great. I'll be looking for your etsy shop to open back up. (; Have a nice day.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Color!! Soft muted tones, but color. Lovely all. How about a yarn pod? With an open hook for feeding the yarn through like a yarn bowl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is on the list. I have a few styles in mind. There are more pods on my list than time to make them. Thanks for the colour suggestion too.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is on the list. I have a few styles in mind. There are more pods on my list than time to make them. Thanks for the colour suggestion too.

      Delete