Wednesday 7 November 2012

Herbal Tea

The return of cold weather usually brings with it the season for colds/flu/sniffles.  My youngest son has had a sore throat for a few days, so I bought him some herbal cough drops.  Yesterday, when I was double checking what herbs were in them, I realized I have about half the herbs listed already on hand from this summer, so we made a tea to try out.
I don't know if it is the herbs, or just the fact that we were having a nice hot drink, but our sore throats disappeared like magic, and have stayed away for hours at a time...we made some more this morning and he brought some to school in a thermos.  I have already had mine, and more sore throat disappeared again.

Here is what we used:  peppermint, lemon balm, lemon thyme, red raspberry leaves, echinacea leaves, and this morning I added borage flowers because they "gladden the heart" (according to a book I once read, and I just love that phrase).
Last night I left the leaves whole, this morning I crushed them up (pictured above).  It is super tasty, and we feel great.  I might make up a batch and put it in tea bags so the boys can have one whenever they need it. 

Do you have a blend you love?  Do you use it for medicinal purposes or just for a nice warm drink on a cold fall or winter day?

Linking up with: Fall Harvest Link up at The Backyard Farming Connection
                         Wicked Good Wednesday at The Wilderness Wife
                         barn hop over at Homestead Revival
                         backyard farming connection
                         Winter on the Homeacre - Hop at the self sufficient homeacre
                         The Backyard Farming Connection's permanent link up
                         Wildcraft Wednesday at the Self Sufficient HomeAcre
                         Making your own Herbal at Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth
 

5 comments:

  1. Your tea sounds great! Love how you added the borage flowers...just the looks of them gladden my heart! I'm sure your boys loved your blend. Our two guys (16 and 19) grew up on my Echinacea blend (I copied from the Traditional Medicinal box)and it was their favorite for years. Thanks for the inspiration...blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds lovely, some more ideas for me to use.... I make tea from whatever herbs are in my garden. At the moment I have a mix of peppermint, mint, thyme, oregano, tarragon, lemon grass and calendula petals. I am growing borage and raspberries, but they're not big enough to pick yet, will add them when I can. I'm also growing chamomile to see if I can grow enough for tea. To be honest, I find it hard to get reliable information about which herbs are good medicinally, they all seem to be good for everything, so I just have a mixture of them everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I need to stock up on more herbs for things such as this :) I definitely need them! Thanks for sharing on the Winter on the HomeAcre Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your talent on Wildcrafting Wednesday!

    I hope to see you again this Wednesday at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/wildcrafting-w…nky-love-party.html
    Spoiler alert: I'm unveiling a cool new promotional tool tomorrow on The Self Sufficient HomeAcre at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/lets-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely post :) Thank you for sharing this… I need to get my hands on some borage too!

    ReplyDelete