Wednesday 13 June 2012

Yarn Along - Current Projects

Linking up with Ginny at small things for weekly Yarn Along
I am excited to share this week's book first and foremost.  Last week I posted about our great find at the artwalk...our local library was selling Mystery Bags of books for ages 9-12 for $1.00 per bag (about 10 books in each).  Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery was in one of my bags.  In the last year, I remember reading that some of the fellow yarn-alongers were reading Anne of Green Gables (some even for the first time).  Imagine my delight at finding this book in my pack.  I thought I already had all of hers.  I was missing this one.  I liked it just as much as all the others.

I remember watching a few minutes of her biography on TV a while back.  Only a few minutes because the one guy just kept saying that her books were trite.  That it was the same thing over and over and if she had applied herself she could have contributed more to literature.  So I changed the channel.  I like her books. A lot.  In particular, I think she captures her characters very very well.  And I almost always laugh out loud while one of her characters are talking.  That is good enough for me, even if I am not some sort of hoity toity professional.

On to the knitting.  Absolutely no progress on the bunny (free pattern by April Cromwell can be found here.  A little progress on the scarf (up at the top there) but it isn't due until September so I am hoping to do a foot or two per month.  And the biggest progress is that I have finally untangled my huge mess of yarn and have cast on for a hat.

If anyone is interested, I am re-posting the information for the "Scarves for Street Kids".

Needed: Knitted Scarves for Street Kids
Did you know that there are over 20,000 teens on the streets of Toronto? Bill Bowers does. He knows because he’s out there on the streets with them, giving scarves to teens in need of some comfort. Bill is retired from the Salvation Army, formerly of Petrolia. He goes out three nights a week, in his uniform for protection and a back pack and gives away knitted scarves to teenagers.
Please join Sarnia Craft Supply in knitting scarves for Bill to distribute. They need to be 4’long and 8”wide. What a great way to use up some of that leftover yarn! (from Sarnia Craft Supply)

5 comments:

  1. Sweet little knitted creatures in progress!

    I love all the Anne books...I do remember the title "Kilmeny of the Orchard," but I am not sure if I read it! What a gorgeous name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the rabbit :) And hooray for the book sale find AND for the untangled yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved Anne and thank you for stopping by and telling me about the other books. I must check her out at the library...I just love a good read before I turn out the light.

    With All That I am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing...I love the mason jar cozy. I an a canner therefore I give food gifts...what a way to jazz up a gift. So I just had to follow your blog.

    With All That I Am Again
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had luck finding the less common L.M. Montgomery books - hope you will let us know what you think of it. I am revisiting the tv series at the moment *happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete