Monday 26 March 2012

Using it up...

Tuesday is usually using what I have to make what I need, as my "regulars" know.  This Wednesday will be the last day I can leave pottery at the college to have the pieces fired in the kiln this term.  So...I thought it would be best to use up most of my clay in order to not waste it as the next session doesn't start until September.

So, this weekend...I "used it up" (except for the clay I will need for Wednesday itself of course)...
One of the things I love about working with clay is that you can use just about anything to put a design into the finished piece.  I have used branches, leaves, stamps, and all kinds of things...this weekend, I used:
a bamboo mat for rolling sushi...N thinks it is quite clever for a sushi plate to be patterned like a sushi mat.
 
and rubber stamps for papercrafts...this is my first time using a large repeating pattern over the whole surface...
 
 ...and I have to say, I am in love! with the way the pattern comes out.  I will definitely do this again (in another term, as I am out of studio time for a while).


PS: for those of you who have been waiting for it, the fabric peg doll pattern is available on
 my etsy shop.

I'll be linking up with Nicole at Frontier Dreams for Keep Calm Craft On...won't you come join us...there is always plenty of inspiration to be found!

8 comments:

  1. I love how the imprints look. Look forward to seeing the finished pieces. You are making me want to take up pottery. It looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever using your sushi bamboo mat! And what a wonderful look it gives :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the texture you are getting on your clay! Great idea. Thanks again for my bag pattern. It's printed and waiting for the sewing bug to strike.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are stunning! I love the textures in your clay. Now I'm off to check out your etsy shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so neat with the clay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your clay items are really cool. I often wish I knew how to work in clay. Or at least the firing part of it ;) And the wheel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it great that those stamps can make it look like you spent months carving something?! So awesome. You're making me want to take a course in clay...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Came here from Frontier Dreams.. The imprints are gorgeous!! Here is my "Craft".. a baby dress for BabySister http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/03/squirrelys-nutty-brown-owl-dress.html

    ReplyDelete