Monday 20 February 2012

Making what I need - a recipe

So Tuesdays is usually "Using what I have to make what I need" day here on my blog.  Well, tonight, what I needed was dinner on the table...so I thought I would share a recipe.

Let me start off by saying that I love egg rolls.  However, I do not love frying food.  So, my solution...baked egg rolls.

Once again, my recipe is a guideline...after all, it's about using what you have, or what you like.

2 cups mushrooms, diced
3 celery sticks, finely diced
2 heads baby bok choy, finely sliced
2 green onions, sliced
3/4 lb bean sprouts
Chinese 5 spice
sesame oil
soy sauce
wanton wrappers, spring roll wrappers, phyllo dough...whatever kind of wrapper you have

Put about 2 tbsp oil in a pot/ large pan/ wok.  Saute the mushrooms until they are almost cooked through.  Add the celery and continue to saute until they are soft.  Add the bok choy and green onion.  Saute about 1 minute.  Add the bean sprouts.  Stir.  Sprinkle on a little soy sauce.  Stir.  Sprinkle some Chinese five spice over the top.  Stir.  Sprinkle a little sesame oil over the top.  Stir.  Add whatever flavour you like in your egg rolls.  Stir...you see where I am going with this.

Let it cool for a few minutes.

Put a good whopping spoonful of the filling in the middle of your wanton wrapper.  You want to have it laying out like a diamond.  Fold it up like an envelope, sides in first, then top, then bottom.  I like to rub a little water on the edge when I fold up the bottom to get a nice good seal.

Continue until you run out of filling.  Lay them all out on a cookie sheet lined with a silpat liner.
You could use spring roll wrappers instead if that is what you happen to have, or even phyllo dough.  I have made these little pockets with phyllo dough before and they have come out lovely.

Ok, once they are all lined up on your cookie sheet, brush on a little olive oil...a little goes a long way with these.  Flip them over and brush the other side.  My brush was MIA so I just rubbed it on with my fingers.  I used a little less than 1 tbsp of oil for 12 egg rolls.

Bake at 450 for about 10 minutes... Flip...bake them another 10.  It is the bottom that gets golden, so just keep them in there until you like the look of them.

They come out nice and crispy, just like a fried egg roll, without the frying.  We had it with rice and lemon chicken, but any stir fried veg is nice with it too...that's what we do in the summer when we have all that nice fresh stuff.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh these look divine! I have always wanted to try and make some, and I love that you have baked yours.

    Thanks will definitely give this a try.

    x

    ReplyDelete